This course is for anyone with a brand new Apple laptop computer, or a pre-owned Apple laptop computer that has been reset. If your laptop is pre-owned and has not yet been reset, you will first need to complete the steps in Apple laptop: Prepare to set up course.
An Apple laptop computer can also be called an Apple Mac, a MacBook, or simply a Mac.
In this course, we will show you, step-by-step, how to set up your laptop in readiness to start using it safely.
What do I need to start this course?
To get the most from this course, you will need the following:
- Your laptop, installed with the macOS Catalina operating system. If you don't yet have macOS Catalina installed, you can still follow along. Once you have completed this course, you can find out more on how to check for or install macOS Catalina on page 6 of our Security and privacy printable guide.
- Your mobile phone number, or the mobile phone number of a family member or friend. You will need access to this phone during the set up process to confirm a couple of steps.
- A little over 20 minutes to watch the video and complete all the steps. If you stop during the process your laptop may switch off and you'll need to restart the course from the beginning.
- We recommend you watch this video on another device (if you have access to one), so that you can follow along and complete the steps on your computer as you go.
- Alternatively, you might like to print and follow the steps in our handy course guide. You can find the guide at the bottom of this page.
When you're ready to start, scroll down and click or tap the play button on the video.