Prepare to set up
This course is the first of two steps for anyone who has just been given a pre-owned Apple desktop computer and wishes to learn how to prepare it for their own safe use.
In this first step, you will learn how to erase the computer and remove the previous owner's details. This is known as a 'reset' and it must be completed before moving onto the second step, the Apple desktop: Set up course. By completing both courses, your computer will be set up and ready to use.
Naturally, you should only perform this reset on a computer that has been given to you permanently, and not one that has been loaned to you temporarily.
What do I need to start this course?
To get the most from this course, you will need the following:
- Your computer, installed with the macOS Catalina operating system. For more information on how to check for or install macOS Catalina, refer to page 6 of our Security and privacy printable guide .
- The previous owner for a couple of the steps in the reset, so make sure they are available when you are ready to start the course.
- Approximately 15 minutes to watch the video and complete all the steps in one sitting. If you stop during the process your computer may switch off and you'll need to restart the course from the beginning.
- We recommend you watch this video on another device (if you have access to one), so that you can follow along and complete the steps on your computer as you go.
- Alternatively, you might like to print and follow the steps in our handy course guide. You can find the guide at the bottom of this page.
So, when you're ready to start, scroll down and click or tap the play button on the video.