Prepare to set up
This course is the first of two steps for anyone who has just been given a pre-owned Windows laptop computer and wishes to learn how to prepare it for their own safe use.
In this first step, you will learn how to erase the laptop and remove the previous owner's details. This is known as a 'reset' and it must be completed before moving onto the second step, the Windows laptop: Set up course. By completing both courses, your laptop will be set up and ready to use.
Naturally, you should only perform this reset on a laptop that has been given to you permanently, and not one that has been loaned to you temporarily.
If you have a brand new laptop, or one that has already been reset, you can progress straight to the Windows laptop: Set up course.
What do I need to start this course?
To get the most from this course, you will need the following:
- Your laptop, installed with the Windows 10 operating system. Page 5 of our handy printable guide shows you how to do this.
- The previous owner for a couple of the steps in the reset, so make sure they are available when you are ready to start the course.
- Approximately one hour to watch the video and complete all the steps in one sitting. If you stop during the process your laptop may switch off and you'll need to restart the course from the beginning.
- We recommend you watch this video on another device (if you have access to one), so that you can follow along and complete the steps on your computer as you go.
- Alternatively, you might like to print and follow the steps in our course guide. You can find the guide at the bottom of this page.
So, when you're ready to start, scroll down and click or tap the play button on the video.